
Yes, the 79th Academy Awards are dawning upon us. At 5.38am (9.38pm Singapore Standard Time), the nominees for the 2007 Academy Awards were announced at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in the Academy's Beverly Hills headquarters.
The theme for this year's Oscar poster is none other then "May We Quote You?". If you look closely at the poster, you'll notice 75 famous movies quotes in the background of the famous Oscar trophy.
At the top of the poster we have "Rosebud", Charles Kane's last dying word in the classic (to say the least) Citizen Kane, the same word that sets the whole movie in motion. Originally a box office failure, the film went on to become a classic masterpiece and is often cited as being one of the greatest and most innovative works in the history of film.
Next to it we have "I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody", uttered by the legendary Marlon Brando in 1954 mob film On the Waterfront that won 8 Academy Awards that year as well.
"Stella!" (just behind the statuette's shoulders) is another Marlon Brando quote, this time a cry to Vivien Leigh's (famous for playing Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind, which has it's own quote "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" in the Oscar poster as well) character Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire.
20 years later, Marlon Brando again makes cinema history by revitalizing the triad genre, this time with The Godfather playing Don Vito Corleone, making "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" (on the left of the Oscar's thigh) the most imitated phase of all time (yes I've done it, shut up)
Of course we also have Tom Cruise ranting "Show me the money!" (on the right of the Oscar's knee) in Jerry Maguire. At least now we know what inspired him to go ballistic on Oprah. Boy "I'm in love I'm in love!" should be on this poster too, haha.
And of course. Who could ever forget The Lord Of The Rings? I personally never got round to finish watching the whole series (I fell asleep a quarter through The Fellowship. Sorry watching pint sized men with over sized hairy legs prancing around golden meadows with harry potter like dementors chasing them is not my cup of tea). "Frodo!" (top right hand corner) would of course be the name of the lead character in the trilogy of movies. Although I wasn't able to appreciate the storyline of the movie, the action junkie and special effects nerd in me was more than satisfied.Well now that the nominee list is out, magazines and critics would be kept busy for the next few weeks trying to predict the winners. Imagine poor Hollywood actors and actresses stumbling out of bed at 5.30am without makeup and hair done (horrors!) to check whether they have been nominated for an award or not. I'm not going to resist blabbing uncontrollably about who I think is going to win this year so check back next week for my dibs if you are vaguely interested, though I don't think you would be but who cares, HAHA. This is the magic of online publishing, I get to write whatever sh** I want!
3 comments:
doshite mata?
i dnt wnt 2 rn wy
i jst wnn ply
all your entries so very chim. i dun really understand wad they are all about leh.. (except for the chicken rice one) haha.
p.s. commenting here quite ma fan leh..
Post a Comment